Sunday, August 1, 2010

do you want to play paperdolls?

{check out the Ed Hardy high tops}
When I was a little girl I loved to play with paperdolls!
I don't remember thinking of my family as poor & I had my fair share of Barbie's & Skipper's,
but paperdolls seemed to be the one luxury I could possibly talk my Mother into while shopping at our local pharmacy in Belmont Shore.
Jumping out of the car with my new acquisition, I would run to the kitchen, grab a pair of scissors & frantically cut EVERYTHING out.
Do you remember how they had little tabs at the shoulders & on the sides to fold behind your doll to keep the outfits on & how you had to make a tiny, little slit in the hat to slide it on? That was always hard!

So...would you be surprised to know that at 53 years young, I get paid to make paperdolls?
I am! I could never have imagined, in my wildest of dreams, that 1. I would be a shopgirl & own my very own store & 2. I would make whimsical paperdolls & sell them there.
Now I don't cut quite so frantically, glitter is always included, they almost always have wings & are riding on something magical, but yes...I truly do get paid to make these delightful, paper fairies!

Can you imagine my excitement when I was asked to create a custom order for a dear friend's, Mother's 80th birthday? Overjoyed!
She provided me with the black & white photo of her Mommy when she was just a wee lass.
Looking at that sweet little B&W face, I knew she had to have some soft color, so off to Photoshop we went. I then gathered together some of my favorite elements...black & white striped tights & high tops being a favorite.

I'm under some strange illusion that all little girls need to look a little bit like 'Alice'.
I then print all the components on a white card stock, cut them out, add glitter & let dry. I edge them with a dark chalk for shadow & attach the elements with brads allowing some of the parts to be movable. The final touch is to add a colorful wire for hanging & again..
Viola!! C'est Tres Magnifique!

Thank you Carol for the chance to rekindle my passion & play again!
And I wish your dear Mommy,
the Sweetest of Birthdays!
Look how happy she looks flying on a bluebird!

XOXO
PS: Just email me if you'd like a custom doll made for someone you love!

17 comments:

Blessed Serendipity said...

I loved playing with paperdolls too. Your's is darling.
-Danielle

Dianne said...

She's magical... and thanks so much for bringing back such great memories! My favorite paper dolls were my "Sandra Dee" paper dolls... but I had many more.

Karen said...

I loved paper dolls! Celeste Holmes was the one I remember the most. I loved designing evening gowns for her. So much fun! I hope to get my granddaughter interested in this some day.
Lucky you!!
Karen
Ladybug Creek

lordblessu said...

how about the back of McCalls Magazine. I was never girlie but I had a shoe box of my dreams of what could have been.

Anji Johnston said...

She is the cutest, most creative 'doll' I have even seen! You are a master of this and am so glad you get paid for what you love doing. You go girl!

Unknown said...

Susie-
My mom will be over the moon when she sees this!!! it is just the all-time BEST!!!! You are so creative and your heart shines through all you do.
You and Carol can sure cook up one heck of a paperdoll!
xoxoxo
lynn

carol s said...

I still can't get over how great the 'doll' is. I called my mother today and said she'd be 'gettin' a lil sumpin' in the mail tomorrow. I can hardly wait to hear her excitement. Not every day you get a mini-me paper doll :-) You did a great job. I was fascinated by paper dolls as a kid, but gave them up early in life...what was I thinking?? You've rekindled the love of them for me! Thanks for your creativity and spirit!!

Diane said...

Susie...
I think this is just beautiful, and you put so much into it =) Very creative indeed!!
I think you are onto something. Really!
We definitely need to talk my friend. I have an idea ~ IMAGINE that???
Hugs~
diane
xoxox

Susan HP said...

Great doll! And the "tennies" are just too fab!!! :)
When I was a kid, I loved paper dolls too, and have spent some time on EBay buying up all my favorites from childhood.
Lucky & talented you for being able to recreate that joy!

In the Light of the Moon said...

I am so happy for you...doing what you love...AND..getting paid for it!!Of course I can understand why..its gorgeous!!!Hugs,Cat

Anonymous said...

Oh I remember not only the little girl paper dolls but also the dogs that came with my set. I loved them as well. Yours is very nicely as usual from you. LOve the blues and grays together. Happy Birthday to carol's mom!
T

Becca said...

Oh Susie, I love that doll you made! I used to love paperdolls too, in fact, I had both the tab ones and the rub-ons. I have paperdolls that my mother made when she was young, well she made the clothes for them anyway, but I've been thinking about photographing them and doing a post. Thank you for sharing!

Jacqueline said...

I wish I had my paper dolls, I am sure they were destroyed, but I can still picture them. I just bought my granddaughters some. What a wonderful thing to be able to make a custom one. I am sure that was the most amazing gift she got. It was absolutely incredible.

Andrea said...

Susie, this is just wonderful!!

dulcy said...

Oh do I ever remember paper dolls!! I even cut them out of catalogs. Your are simply darling, and adore the little bluebird!

Dulcy

Alina said...

Paperdolls, how I loved them! Thank you for the memories. Glad you've had a chance to play again. Your creation is just wonderful XO

Jamie said...

This will be cherished forever! Miss you Susie:) Love, Jamie